The programmes provides forum / themes (attached a programme reflects such) which are summarised for the panellists and participants to understand to ensure robust engagement amongst themselves
Programme to promote the international competitiveness of South Africa ICT SMMEs at the ITU Telecom World 2018
In line with the objectives of the ICT SMME Development Strategy approved by Cabinet in November 2017, the Department has developed a programme to promote the international competitiveness of ICT SMMEs at the ITU Telecom World 2018. This programme is implemented in partnership with Standard Bank South Africa and Ericsson (core sponsors). Through this programme 40 High Tech SMMEs will be capacitated for both the ITU SME Awards and Exhibition in the South African National Pavilion/SMME Village (including post conference support). Within the South African National Pavilion, two Corridors, being the Nelson Mandela Corridor (sponsored by Standard Bank) and Albertina Sisulu Corridor (sponsored by Ericsson) have been set aside for South African ICT SMMEs. Each Corridor, will accommodate a total of 20 tech SMMEs. These two corridors will occupy in excess of 300 square meters of the South African National Pavilion solely for showcasing local tech innovations.
Who is eligible to participate in the programme?
South African Tech SMMEs:
- Pre or post revenue tech SMMEs/entrepreneurs;
- With most innovative use of ICTs, aligned to Industry 4.0;
- Innovation with the greatest social impact and most scalable solution;
- Willing and able to attend the ITU Telecom World 2018, taking place in Durban International Convention Centre, 10 – 13 September 2018;
- Have registered for the ITU SME Awards. Closing date for registration is 17 August 2018), go to the ITU Website to register, using the link below:
Benefits for tech SMMEs:
Amongst the benefits that the 40 local tech SMMEs will enjoy are the following:
- Rapid acceleration, development support and master classes provided by domain experts, covering topics such as UX and interface design, intellectual property rights, marketing, legal structure and pitching and presentation best practice.
- Full access to a vibrant community of entrepreneurs, start-ups and high growth companies through Standard Bank’s Entrepreneurship Development and Incubator programme.
- Selected SME’s will receive a chance to participate in the final pitching event and showcase their solutions to an audience of venture capitalists, private equity firms, industry experts and senior executives within the Financial Services, public sector and technology communities.
- On-going mentoring from senior executives and senior members from the technology community, to help shape the products and technologies being developed.
- Selected SME winners of the Industry 4.0 Challenge will be invited to showcase their products or services at the international exhibition in Durban on 10-13 September 2018. (Flights and accommodation included for one member of the company).
- Selected SME’s will stand the chance to participate in further development programmes, exposure trips, funding and access to market opportunities, through Standard Bank Entrepreneur Development post the September event.
What is the process of identifying the 40 tech SMMEs and status to date?
- Applications opened on 29 June 2018 and closed 17 July 2018. Only online applications were considered. Click the link below:
- The challenge was open to all provinces.
- Successful applicants were be contacted via e-mail.
- Final Pitching Event took place on 24 and 25 July 2018, at Standard Bank Playroom in Randburg (Pictures to be provided to the website manager).
- Panel of Judges included tech experts from the Department of Telecommunications and Postal Services, Council for Scientific Industrial Research (CSIR), Standard Bank, Ericsson and Linda Mahle Consulting; (Pictures to be provided to the website manager).
- Selected qualifying tech SMMEs will be going through a capacity development programme, as outlined as part of the benefits above. Profiles of the selected tech SMMEs will be uploaded on the Website in due course (Pictures to be provided to the Website Manager).
Note the following:
* Tech SMMEs who might not be part of this programme, but willing to participate at the ITU Telecom World as Exhibitors or entering the ITU SME Awards can register on their own
at a discounted fee of 800 Swiss Franc (CHF).
Link to ITU Telecom World Website provided here: https://telecomworld.itu.int/
*Tech SMMEs not exhibiting at the ITU Telecom World 2018 will not be considered for the ITU SME Awards.